I pulled out our book, The 17-Day Diet: The Tasty Companion for ideas, and chose our Easy Chicken Parmesan, which has become a family favorite.
Easy Chicken Parmesan
4 boneless, skinless Chicken Breast Halves
4 Egg Whites
4 tablespoons Water
½ cup Low-fat Grated Parmesan Cheese
1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
¼ teaspoon Salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground Black Pepper
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 cup canned no-sugar-added Tomato Sauce (or use your own)
¼ cup shredded Part-Skim Mozzarella Cheese
1. Slice chicken breasts into 1" strips; set aside.
2. In a large bowl, beat egg whites and water just until they begin to foam; add chicken strips and mix to ensure all pieces are coated well with the egg white mixture.
3. In a large sealable bag, mix together parmesan cheese, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
4. Place coated chicken pieces in bag and shake to coat well and evenly. Place coated chicken pieces on a rack and let sit for 10 minutes.
5. Preheat broiler to High.
6. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat and fry 1/2 of the chicken pieces until crispy and cooked through. Be sure not to crowd chicken pieces – you want them to brown evenly and not steam. Place cooked chicken in an oven-proof baking dish in a single layer; repeat with remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil and chicken pieces.
7. Pour tomato sauce over cooked chicken and sprinkle evenly with mozzarella cheese.
8. Broil until sauce is heated through and mozzarella cheese melts. Serve immediately accompanied by a green salad.
Servings per Recipe: 4
Calories per Serving: 300
17-Day Diet Allowances per Serving: freebie vegetable, freebie protein, ½ healthy fat